Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gluten Free is the Way to Be!

Yes you read the title right!  Lily has been saying it for a couple of days now!  She is adjusting to her new diet quite well.  She is getting really good at asking "Is that gluten free?" before she takes any food.  She did it all night at her Grammie's the other night and has been even asking me!  She has been enjoying the food that she has been eating and I don't want to jinx it but she's been eating better than ever!  It makes me wonder if she has had this dull ache in her stomach her entire life from eating gluten.  In reality, who would want to eat anything if they constantly had a belly ache and every time they ate food it only made it worse? I sure as hell wouldn't.  So now that she is eating gluten free I am sure her the inflammation in her intestines is slowly but surely going down and she is feeling better.  I have noticed she has also been whining a lot less in the past few days.  It makes me wonder if it is all linked together.  Feeling better, acting better, eating better; yes it all makes a Momma a happy girl! 


There are tons of gluten free products I have found.  I am a big fan of the "Dr. Praeger's broccoli littles."  They are little chicken nugget shaped potato and broccoli bites and Lily had NO idea there was any veggies in them!  She ate them all up.  She's been eating more vegetables than ever, and really sitting down and enjoying meal times.  It's only been a week and she is doing remarkable.  James is enjoying his gluten free diet as well.  Seeing that I am going to school to be a nurse and not a short-order cook, he is eating gluten free as well so I don't have to make 3 meals a night.  He would eat cardboard if you served it to him, so needless to say he is enjoying the gluten free food too.  He will be joining Lily next month at the nutritionist so we can figure out his milk and soy allergy and try to start getting some sort of dairy substitute in his diet, but that is a story for another day.


So overall, all is well at the Bowen household.  I am so happy at how well she is doing and I find myself wanting to be more creative with her food.  Hopefully I can fatten this kid up in no time! We are going to the endocrinologist next Thursday where I am sure we will spend half of the day because I just don't shut up when we are there!  I can't wait to let him know about the research study at Stanford and all of the new things I am learning!  You may be surprised but I feel like half the time I know more about Turner's than the doctors do.  It is so rare that they don't see it very often and often have to be educated about it themselves.  So I will go in and share with him everything I am finding and get his professional opinions on it all! 


Have a great weekend everyone and GO PATS!


My little Rockstar

1 comment:

  1. i love reading this! you should write it as a book

    ReplyDelete