Monday, January 17, 2011

Dining out Dilemma

Today was fun! Since there was no work/school for Lily and I we decided to meet my mom for some lunch and shopping.  After looking up every restaurant that carries a gluten free menu, Chilis was what was local so we decided to go there.  You would assume, since they offer a gluten free menu, they would have a clue.  Well, you know what they say about assuming -- it makes and ASS out of U and ME! When we got there, I informed the hostess that I would need a gluten free menu.  I had viewed it online, but I just wanted to make sure that Lily was getting what she wanted.  The hostess told me she would have to "go look for it." So after 10 minutes of sitting at the table and ordering drinks, I asked the waitress again for a gluten free menu.  A few minutes later the hostess came back and told me that the manager was printing it out now.  Printing it out? Are you for real? You really don't have a copy of it? Not too reassuring.  I placed Lily's order of a cheeseburger (minus the bun) and some corn on the cob.  French fries are gluten free, and she would have loved those, but they are only gluten free if they have a designated frialator, if not then it is as good as eating a slice of bread.  So a couple minutes after we placed the order, the waitress came back and asked for the piece of paper they were passing off as the gluten free menu.  My mom and I looked at each other with that "What the hell?" expression and gave her the menu.  No sooner do we give her the menu does the manager come out.  He said "It is just our policy to come out when there is a food allergy.  Who has the allergy?"  I told him it was Lily.  He then informed me "Ok, so the burger is going to come on a whole wheat bun, is that ok?"  OH MY GOD -- Why have a gluten free menu if you don't have a clue?  I mean it CLEARLY says on the menu that the server just brought back to you that it comes without a bun.  So I proceed to explain to him she wants the burger, no bun, and it cannot touch any food that has wheat, rye, or barley in it.  Just bring the kid a damn burger already!  I mean I wasn't upset about it after all, because I would much rather he come out and ask me than try to serve the kid a burger on a whole wheat bun.  I can't say I was thrilled with our first gluten free dining out experience.    


The burger eventually came.  It was quite humorous that it came out on an appetizer plate with just the burger on it.  It didn't look like a good meal to anyone!  Lily had actually never agreed to eat a burger before today.  She always told me she doesn't like them and I could never get her to take a bite of one.  Well she ate the whole damn burger today.  I was pretty impressed.  So we obviously had to go get a prize today for eating so well lately.  I am all about bribing and positive reinforcement! If she keeps this good eating up, I am going to need another whole apartment for all of these toys! 


Thanks again for all of the positive feedback on this blog.  All of you are giving me such great comments and amazing uplifting messages/emails.  I hope you all continue to follow her story!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear she ate the whole burger! Sounds like you are all adjusting well to this new lifestyle. You are such a great mom :)

    ReplyDelete